Ingredients (serves 6)
- Toor dhal – 3/4 cup
- Chopped vegetables – 3 cups (sambar onions, white pumpkin, chow-chow)
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- Curry leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Sambar powder – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chillies – 2-4.
- Sunflower oil – 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hing powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cook Toor Dhal with one and a half cups of water for 10 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- Mash well after once it cools down.
- In one cup of water, soak tamarind for ten minutes, then squeeze the tamarind well and strain out juice.
- Cook vegetables (sambar onions, white pumpkin) in one and a half cups of water.
- When cooked add chopped green chilies, salt.
- Add tamarind water and simmer.
- Add mashed Toor Dhal, sambar powder and curry leaves.
- Simmer till Sambar becomes thick, add coriander leaves (optional).
- Heat sunflower oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, and red chili.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add hing powder and pour the seasoning over the Sambar
- Serve hot with rice